Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Should I be nervous?

I am very tired, but I had to share this with my readers.....

Tonight Scout and I are watching TV, Trauma: Life in the ER, one of my favorite shows. There's a case on there about a woman who comes in complaining of abdominal pain, and come to find out, she in labor, has baby, claiming all the while she never knew she was pregnant.

From out of nearly nowhere, Scout(who's 10, mind you) asks me, "Mama, is it true that a girl can get pregnant at 10?" Yea, my heart about stopped beating at that point. Ever so calmly(you can now pass me my Oscar for this performance), I explain to Scout that yes, if a girl has started getting her period, it's possible since that's what's required in order to get pregnant. I also throw in that she has no business doing what acts cause pregnancy at the age of 10. Scout tells me that someone at school told him that it was possible for a girl of 10 years to get pregnant, and wanted to know, so he comes home and asks me(I can feel my hair turning gray under the hair dye).....

Ok, now that I am mildly recovered from that little episode, I want to know 1 thing...........WHAT THE HELL IS MY SON'S 4TH GRADE CLASS DOING TALKING ABOUT PREGNANCY AT THEIR AGE?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I mean, it's not as though they are talking about people older than them getting pregnant. They are talking about pregnancy in their own age group!!!!

I'm going to bed now........that was too much excitement for one evening.

2 comments:

Eunuch said...

Two decades ago, in Catholic school no less, I think it was about that age/grade when I first had sex-ed at school...of course, given the Catholic bent with abstenance, it was limited. I know my memory is a little fuzzy (come on, I cannot even remember yesterday!), but I'm pretty sure it was about the time

Crazy Girl City said...

Holy shite! At 10? Wow.

AFeskimo and Ziggy

AFeskimo and Ziggy

Contributors